Well, we’re back in Turkey safe and sound and exhausted.  We booked a 3:35am flight from Beirut to Adana, which is a 2 hour drive from our home, instead of flying to Istanbul and waiting there for four hours before catching a second flight here.  We thought we were being smart, but our flight was delayed for two hours, lines at the Beirut airport were longer than lines at JFK passport control in high season, our check-in attendant was apparently a trainee and had a forty-minute struggle to issue Isla’s lap infant ticket…..and so we didn’t sleep all night and arrived home mid morning.

We’d left a single window cracked open, and all the dust in the neighborhood managed to seep in and settle down nicely over the better half of the house, but poor C had to leave for a meeting almost immediately and I was too tired to do anything about it so we just took a lot of showers and tried not to roll around on the floor.

C took an emergency grocery run because I was in that all too familiar delirious-from-fatigue-and-hunger state, and came back with cheese and yogurt and Turkish sausage and nectarines and bananas .  I spent the rest of the day making such steady progress on the bounty that C felt he had to repeatedly marvel at the obvious: “You’re really pregnant!” Between meals I lounged on the couch and mumbled through the books Isla brought over for me to read to her, getting up only occasionally to rinse down her dusty body.

We’re going through gallons of water.  Either Antakya is far hotter than when we left or I am far more pregnant.  It could be both, but I think it’s the latter.  Also, our home in Lebanon is on the ground floor and has air conditioning.  Our home here is on the 7th floor and does not.  Its redeeming factor is the near-constant wind blowing through the open windows.  In theory, I love the lack of air conditioning on account that the world is so economically unjust and I am on the upper end of the spectrum with clothes for all seasons and no fear of hunger and a life of relative security and legal status wherever I go…it’s good to deal with small discomforts, insignificant as they may be.  Not to mention that AC remains one of the biggest air pollutants.  All this information drips through my brain as quickly as the sweat drips from my body, and in a purely philosophical sense, I am content.  Although if Antakya experiences another 110 degree heat wave like the one we missed while we were in Lebanon, my philosophical inclinations may be prone to shift.

Isla’s room was too hot for her to sleep in, so we brought her to our bedroom, which is breezy and cool at night.  She managed to take up the entire middle portion of the mattress, (how is it that toddlers are just as active during sleep as they are while they’re awake?) but somehow we all slept fairly well.  She woke up sniveling and sneezing.  It wasn’t difficult to ascertain the cause, and so I spent five hours scouring the floors, surfaces, furniture and beds.  It feels good to be able to sit down without immediately morphing into human dust rags.

On a related note, C and I finally got around to dividing up the house work.  We’d sort of been tag-teaming it all along, which isn’t the most efficient (or harmonious) system.  Having a precise list of set chores eliminates a surprising amount of brain space and silent wondering and, occasionally, resentment.

On a less related note, my productivity levels are fragmentary at best.  It’s not even that I am bursting with ideas and lack the impetus to follow through; the ideas themselves are scant.  When I start to wonder what’s become of my brain, I often get distracted mid-thought, because the womb dweller has become partial to the following positions:

da vinci

All that to say, here’s to frequent breaks and tall cool drinks at the ready!  Happy thick-of-summer, Apples!